Thursday, December 24, 2009

San Jose Christmas Bird Count - Calaveras Sector


Another full-day participating in the San Jose Christmas Bird Count, with starting at early dawn up on Calaveras Road in the eastern foothills above San Jose. This was my 5th year on the Weller Road zone... (I missed last year due to my Antarctica trip in December 2008). The Weller Road zone has lots of open space and huge grasslands and ranches.

Highlights included 3 GOLDEN EAGLES and 16 RED-TAIL HAWKS... and several wild horses which suddenly arrived and surrounded my car while I was birding nearby! One horse kicked the running board under the passenger door, and that was enough for me to send them away.


The count went well and the weather cleared from the early morning fog into a glorious sunny day.

1 comment:

  1. This bird turned up in our back yard and we can not figure out who he is, using the Field Guide to Western Birds. Do you recognize him? See them on the link below.

    Ed Mueller

    http://picasaweb.google.com/Ed1269Mueller/20101012MysteryBird#

    ReplyDelete