Sunday, December 27, 2009

Calero-Morgan Hill Christmas Bird Count - Almaden Quicksilver Sector

I enjoyed this year's Calero-Morgan Hill Christmas Bird Count (CBC) very much. The rains held off until late afternoon just after I finished!

ALMADEN-QUICKSILVER COUNTY PARK

For the 5th time, I worked the northern section of Almaden Quicksilver County Park, covering the entire Guadalupe Trail, including portions of New Almaden Trail, Mine Hill Trail, and Senador Mine Trail... for a total of 6.2 miles of up-and-down hiking. Nothing rare was seen nor heard, yet the usual expected species did show and made their presence felt. This park is filled with woodpeckers... and I observed 6 species, with the Acorn Woodpecker the most numerous by far (I counted 39 different individuals!)

ACORN WOODPECKER

The typical forest birds were all there in good numbers... some examples:

OAK TITMOUSE
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET

WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH

HERMIT THRUSH

I was fortunate to capture new photos; view the Christmas Bird Count SLIDESHOW to see the pixs, including many not shown here in the blog. Enjoy!

1 comment: