Sunday, August 14, 2011

Farallon Islands - Pacific Ocean Palagic Trip


13 August 2011

Spent a full day being tossed about in the Pacific Ocean on the "Superfish" fishing boat, joining 35 other Santa Clara Valley Audubon members for an early morning departure from San Francisco Bay for a day-long trip out to the Farallon Islands and beyond. It was bouncing, wind-blown day with 8-10 foot seas... and I didn't do as well as I hoped, to be honest. But I was still able to get some important bird species photographed... which was my goal.

Departure on the "Superfish" fishing boat

The bonus of the trip was observing a new LIFE BIRD for me... a single HAWAIIAN PETREL was spotted while in deep water past the Farallon Islands. That was a wonderful sighting... and that plus these species below made the day worth it!

Hawaiian Petrel

Sabine's Gull
Black-footed Albatross - Water Walker!
Long-tailed Jaeger
Pomarine Jaeger

1 comment: